Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Highlight of Her Week

Kari Horwitz, a student in the Fifty Plus Program's Memoirs class, writes:

Six years ago, recently widowed, I met Cynthia Eagleton. She was teaching a "Memoirs Class." I have always been intimidated by writing, let alone a personal memoir. She was so welcoming, I decided to try it. It has been one of the best experiences that I have attempted. It is very difficult to explore and record one's life and then read it aloud to a group of strangers. Through Cynthia's warmth and encouragement, I was able to try to write and subsequently read. Thanks to the experience, the group has become intimate, cohesive and supportive. We worried when she left the group a few years ago but Katherine Lieban took charge of the group at that time. It continues to be exceptionally wonderful. The assignments have been very provocative. They inspire lots of soul searching. My writing style has hopefully improved which is difficult when one is eighty two and set in one's ways. Two years ago, I was inspired to buy a computer. I had always written my pieces by hand and now feel I have joined the twenty first century. Our class is the highlight of my week. The would be an immeasurable loss to have it discontinued.

No comments:

Post a Comment